Monday, February 20, 2012

Prayers

So the rash on Mom's skin seemed to still be getting bigger and so she went back up to Stanford this past week to meet with their team of doctors and decide on a plan of action.  The entire team of tumor specialists (I think there were seven or eight doctors) met with her and examined her and went over all her past results.  She said at one point there was one doctor examining one breast and another doctor examining the other while the others watched and took notes.  Hmmm, a little uncomfortable - I think so!  But of course this is all good because it is wonderful to get multiple doctors who are all great and knowledgeable discussing together the best course of action.  They decided to continue with the chemo treatments, she has four left.  They are giving her two different doses of a treatment, which makes her extremely tired and not able to do much.  When those treatments are done, they will check her again (she goes back on the 16th of March) and then try to schedule the mastectomy, then radiation.  She will have six weeks of radiation at Stanford, so she will probably have to live there during the week as they will occur every day.  I am hoping at that point we can figure out a way to get either myself or others to stay there with her as that is a long time to be by yourself in a big city doing things that are not fun.  So we'll see when that gets closer.  

One thing the doctors tried to make clear on this past visit is the seriousness of the situation she is in right now.  I don't think any of us really realized how serious this has all been.  I know I have not.  I just figured that this was something that is not fun and pretty miserable, but necessary and that when it is all done we could go on and get back to normal.  I think I may have been wrong.  They told her that the cancer that she has is just one step beneath the level of being 100% non-curable.  They labeled her level with a letter and a number name but I can't remember any of it.  They told her it meant that her cancer is in the category of being highly incurable.   If it were to come back there may not be a whole lot they could do at that point.  So today I am asking please for the prayers of everyone in behalf of my Mom.  This has not been a fun journey but well worth it in the end to get rid of the cancer in her body.  We are all still very positive that things will be okay in the end, but there are no guarantees.  So please think of her and continue to keep my family in your prayers as you have already. 

2 comments: